Eighty years in business, still strong and growing
In 2017 Modern Welding Company celebrated its 85th birthday. This is an exceptional accomplishment in today's ever changing economy.
About Modern Welding Company
John G. Barnard
1898 – 1982
Modern Welding Company, a family owned business, was founded in June 1932 by Mr. John G. Barnard. "Mr. Pete", as everyone called him, attributed the success of the company to its many customers, suppliers and most of all to its loyal employees. It was Mr. Pete's heartfelt belief that his employees were the company's most essential asset, collectively they made up the "Modern Family" that shared in both difficult and profitable times of the company.
Today, Modern Welding Company has 9 steel tank and vessel fabrication subsidiaries located throughout the United States and 5 welding supply stores located in Kentucky and Indiana. The company is an industry leader by being the country's largest supplier of Underwriters Laboratories listed, underground and aboveground steel storage tanks for flammable and combustible liquids. Chemical storage tanks, ASME pressure vessels and structural steel fabrication are additional products manufactured by the company.
Made with pride in America
Professional pride isn't just an idea at Modern Welding—it's a tradition. Since 1932, our team of fabrication professionals has provided fast, quality service, maintained the highest standards of design and fabrication, and employed the finest craftsmen in the industry to serve our customers.
In fact, our hands-on approach to service and industry expertise has elevated Modern Welding into a leadership position in both the U.S. and global markets. Modern is a national corporation. Our products are shipped to all corners of the world. With 11 subsidiaries, each linked by a state-of-the-art information network, Modern Welding can provide fast, efficient service no matter where our customers are located throughout the world.In the United States each subsidiary services its own geographic area on a regional basis for faster delivery, less transportation costs and a more personal customer relationship.
Where it all began
In 1932 we started with a small job shop in Owensboro, Kentucky, and began expanding our operations as early as 1937. We've been growing ever since.
- 1937 – Acquired Madisonville, Kentucky Job Shop
- 1938 – Leased Bowling Green, Kentucky Job Shop
- 1940 – Acquired Southern Builders Iron Company of Owensboro, Kentucky
- 1944 – Acquired Tucker Tank & Boiler Works, Newark, Ohio
- 1946 – Reorganized company into corporation
- 1948 – Built new plant in Orlando, Florida
- 1951 – Acquired L.J. Smith Company in Houston, Texas
- 1956 – Built new plant in Burlington, Iowa.
- 1961 – Established Modern Supply Co. as a Division of Modern Welding Company
- 1964 – Leased building in Elizabethtown, Kentucky for expansion of Modern Supply Co., Division of Modern Welding Co., Inc.
- 1966 – Established Modern Welding Co., Inc. in Elizabethtown, Kentucky
- 1968–1969 – Expanded Modern Supply Company, Division of Modern Welding Company, Inc. by establishing locations at both Madisonville and Bowling Green, Kentucky
- 1970 – Built new plant in Fresno, California
- 1970 – Moved to new Corporate Office in Owensboro, Kentucky
- 1976 – Built new plant in Augusta, Georgia
- 1977 – Rebuilt Bowling Green, Kentucky plant
- 1979 – Rebuilt Modern Welding Co. and Modern Supply Co. in Madisonville, Kentucky
- 1992 – Reorganized into subsidiaries
- 1995 – Acquired assets of Starco, Inc., in Rhome, Texas as additional location of Modern Welding Co. of Texas
- 1998 – Established Modern Supply Co. Inc. location in Evansville, Indiana.
- 2001 – Acquired assets of ITEQ Storage Systems, Inc., in Fresno, CA. Assets were sold to Modern Custom Fabrication, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Modern Welding Company, Inc.
- 2004 – Acquired certain assets of Dunn Industries, LLC of North East, MD.
- 2006 – Rebuilt Modern Supply Co. in Bowling Green, KY at new location.
See our Quality Assurance section for additional code compliance information.